Writing Objectives and Learning Outcomes
- Use the acronym SMART to develop objectives
- Specific - What is the task to be done?
- Measurable - How will success be measured?
- Relevant - Why is the task important?
- Use Bloom's Taxonomy to find measurable verbs
- Break down large scope objectives into multiple smaller objectives
- Start with the end in mind
- What should the student learn?
- What activity will facilitate learning?
- How will the student demonstrate learning?
- Should be expressed in simple, objective language
- Learning outcomes are focused on what the learner should be able to do as a result of learning
- "One of the great advantages of learning outcomes is that they are clear statements of what the student is expected to achieve and how he or she is expected to demonstrate that achievement. Thus, learning outcomes are more precise, easier to compose and far clearer than objectives." - Kennedy, D. 2006. Writing and using learning outcomes: a practical guide. Cork, University College Cork.
- Revise objectives to follow competency-based guidelines before presenting them to students
♥How to Write Learning Objectives Using Bloom's Taxonomy. Johns Hopkins University. 10 minutes.
♥Writing competency-based learning objectives. Dr. Mark Winegar. 2 minutes.
Writing Effective Learning Objectives. The Online Learning Consortium. 1 minute.
Writing Learning Objectives. BrainShark - Greg Williams. 15 minutes.
Writing Learning Objectives: The ABCD Method. Durham College. 9 minutes.
A Model of Learning Objectives based on A Taxonomy for Learning, Teaching, and Assessing: A Revision of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives. Iowa State University. Interactive visualization including action verbs.
How to Write Clear Learning Objectives. Boston University.
Writing Effective Goals and Objectives for Learning. Creighton University School of Medicine.
Learning Outcomes. University of Southern California.
Writing Instructional Objectives. Babbi J. Winegarden, Ph.D., M.H.P.E., UCSD School of Medicine.
♥Writing Effective Learning Outcomes and Objectives. MSU Graduate School. 40 minutes.
Mapping it out: Writing Clear, Measurable Course Learning Objectives. UNLV. 52 minutes.
Writing Objectives and Goals. Blackboard Inc. 39 minutes
♥Kennedy, D. 2006. Writing and using learning outcomes: a practical guide. Cork, University College Cork. Free.
♥Understanding by Design® Framework by Jay McTighe and Grant Wiggins. Whitepaper by ASCD.org.
A Taxonomy for Learning, Teaching, and Assessing: A Revision of Bloom's Taxonomy of Educational Objectives by Lorin W. Anderson, et al. 2013. $61.27
Objectives Builder App. Arizona State University.