- Be genuine
- Share your vision
- Practice effective communication
- Ask for and listen to other opinions (listen more than you speak)
- Lead by example
- Be aware of your emotions
- Make thoughtful decisions
- Know your team
- Tell the truth
- When you delegate, do it fully
- Be candid about what you don't know
- Remember your responsibilities to the mission and people (it's not about you)
- Nurture future leaders
- Avoid common mistakes
- Making every decision
- Thinking everyone will accurately interpret what you say or do
- Not realizing that you are being watched all the time at work
- Not investing enough in your own personal development
- Recognize and foster leadership qualities in yourself and others
- Give and receive feedback in a non-judgmental and non-intimidating way
How to Start a Movement. Derek Sivers. TED Talks. 3 minutes.
♥How Great Leaders Inspire Action. Simon Sinek. TED Talks. 18 minutes.
Marshall Goldsmith Library. 11 free, succinct leadership development articles.
Pearls for Leaders in Academic Medicine by Emery A. Wilson and Jay A. Perman. 2008. $49.99
Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding under Any Conditions by John Kotter and Holger Rathgeber. 2006. $19.99.
Leading Innovations in Health Care & Education and Program for Educators in Health Professions. Harvard Macy Institute, Boston, MA. CME courses given multiple times annually. $ Fee required
Transforming Health Care. Darrell G. Kirch, M.D. UC Davis Health System. 45 minutes.
Mark Smith's Seven Steps for Health Care Leaders. California HealthCare Foundation. 26 minutes.
Keynote Address: 2013 Coaching in Leadership and Healthcare Conference. Hooked, hacked and hijacked: coaching the addicted brain. Dr. Pam Peeke. 1 hours and 2 minutes.
What Does Physician Leadership Look Like in Reformed Health Care System? Matthew Wynia, MacLean Center. 1 hour and 5 minutes.
♥Generating Buy-In: Mastering the Language of Leadership by Mark S. Walton. 2006. $14.99
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You (10th Anniversary Edition) by John C. Maxwell. $18.48
Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence. Coursera, Case Western Reserve University.
Better Leader, Richer Life. Coursera, Wharton University of Pennsylvania.
Academic Leadership Academy, Penn State, annually. The curriculum will cover a range of important and practical subjects. The academy consists of both a summer on-site session and six virtual sessions throughout the following academic year. The on-site topics include Leadership Development, Organizational Dynamics, Shared Governance, Communication, Faculty Employment Issues, Faculty Development, Strategic Management, Budgeting, Conflict Resolution, and Organizational Change. The six virtual sessions will focus on topics of importance not covered during the residential Academy. These sessions will be delivered to the participants' desktops and can be completed in less than three hours. $ Fee required
Health Leadership – Leading and managing healthcare. Coursera, The University of New South Wales, Australia.